Friday, October 19, 2012

A Study in Binding...

Here's the latest quilt and this one is all mine. I purchased the kit and pattern at the Madison Quilt expo in September. It was a labor of love, even before the binding. It involves a variety of materials, which were a challenge to cut and clean up after--think fuz, lots and lots of fuz. After assembling the top and basting it, 1/2 way thru quilting my machine died. It was a sad day, yet kinda joyous! I used an $80 Singer for 3 years and made 16 quilts with it!

A new Singer, the Confidence Quilter, and I was back in business. Now for the labor of love--the binding. The pattern has triangles edging the quilt. Oh joy, time to practice my mitered corners, 40 times. And let's not forget how to finish the (what I call 'arm pits') of the triangles. And to finish that labor of love, learn to hand bind it too. Previously I was a machine-binding only girl. After this, I still am, except for I think smaller quilts, since it really did look nice, just took me 2 days and a whole season of Supernatural on Netflix to finish.
Aside from these new challenges, it's a beautiful quilt, and a perfect addition to my Fall.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012


Recently, I completed a quilt for a friend who asked for an activity blanket for her little boy.  After looking around at some examples on Pintrest and other blogs that I read frequently, this is what I came up with.  Inspired by the corduroy owl print, I had a great time choosing different types of fabric and ribbons; attempting to catch a kids interest without being too garish.  I've had great feedback from the few people I showed it to, so perhaps I'll make another one in the future!